…No casualty recorded this time.
by Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna
The electricity transformer, located at ECWA Hausa/De Jay’s Hotel, in U/Boro area of Sabon Tasha, Kaduna State, has exploded, about midday on Sunday.
The sound of the explosion was heard everywhere within the catchment residents, because of the vibration.
The community was on rationing of “one day off, 3 days on,” for about a month or two before the recent explosion of the transformer said to have been overload.
Even before the incident, the consumers had consistently complained of poor power supply due to off-and-on, broken down epileptic nature of the 4-phase transformer.
Kaduna Electric Distribution Company (KAEDCO) merely advised the community leaders on the need to organise and engage its Barnawa sub-section managerial staffs in a meeting on the persistent power failure matters.
But, the community youths group told our correspondent that the transformer has over stayed its usefulness, having lasted for donkey years and, therefore, only requires replacement with a new one.
It was gathered that, the transformer was bought some many years ago by a Good Samaritan, who was a resident in the community, and later inherited by Kaduna Electric Company.
All efforts to get the KAEDCO Managing Director or CEO could not sail though, as he could not respond to complaints in a chat forum created for information-gathering on electricity issues across the state between them and newsmen.
Recall that three electric armoured cables were vandalized in the same U/Boro neighborhood last week by unknown hoodlums. No casualty was recorded during the explosion other than scary vibrating atmosphere of flying birds, including fowls.
It would also be recalled that, an Industrial Training (IT) student was caught-up in one of the series of explosions, and was rushed to the hospital with all his head almost burnt early this year.