by Christiana Gokyo, Jos
The Plateau state government has confirmed its recording of 4,179 cases of COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic, and has been able to discharge 3,932 cases, while losing 34.
It stated that till last week of October, 2020, the cases started dropping down to 40 in per week, but later went up 48-49, and the number is still shooting upwards.
The state commissioner for health, Dr Nimkong Lar, disclosed this on Friday, while briefing journalists in Jos on the update of COVID-19 in the state, for this week 51.
He explained that the rising cases of the pandemic was a result of the disrespect of adhering to the guideline protocols by the people, including none-use of nose masks, hand washing and the lack of observance of social distancing that the state government has outlined, in order to stop the spread of the pandemic.
Dr. Lat explained that, Governor Simon Lalong, who tested positive to the virus, has been tested for the third time, and could be because of the bye-election recently conducted in the southern zone of state, adding that the governor is, however, responding to treatment and doing well.
On his own part, the commissioner of information and communications, Hon. Dan Manjang, said the second wave of the pandemic is here in the state and appealed to citizens to obey safety protocols.
According to him, “There had been rumors of another lock-down. For now, the situation has not warranted that. Government might be forced to lock-down, if the cases keep rising up and the people keep disobeying COVID-19 protocols. Government is determined to secure lives of citizens of the state,” he said.