You are here
Home > Crime > Kaduna: retired Major accuses soldiers of alleged killing of nephew, body unfound

Kaduna: retired Major accuses soldiers of alleged killing of nephew, body unfound

…Calls El-Rufai, Buratai to investigate. 

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna 

Retired army officer, Major Muhammed Isah Tafoki, has passionately appealed to Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Tukur Buratai, to investigate the alleged killing of his nephew, Mohammed Akilu Isah, by some soldiers of 1 Division Nigerian Army Garrison command at Sabon Gayan, Kaduna state.

He made the call in a press release issued and distributed to journalists in Kaduna, a week after addressing a press conference on the same incident without results.

Major Tafoki also appealed to Kaduna state governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, and the General Officer Commanding 1 Division, Nigerian Army, Kaduna, to also assist in the investigation.

According to him, the sad incident occurred on the 6th of January, when the slain nephew, Muhammed Akilu Isa, met his untimely death in the hands of soldiers on a road block along Kaduna-Abuja highway.

The retired Major is asking the authorities to release the corpse of his slain nephew yet to be found for proper burial, having gone round hospitals in and around Kaduna as well as nearby forests closed to the road block without locating the corpse.

He said his late nephew was a farmer in Tafoki in Katsina state, and that during dry season, he migrates to Abuja for commercial motorcycle business.

According to him, they were on their way to Abuja in the company of four motorcycles, each carrying a passenger. “And as they approached Sabon Gaya along the Abuja Expressway, they bumped into a roadblock mounted by soldiers, who were later identified as personnel of 1 Division Garrison.”

Major Tafoki further explained that without any word of caution, the soldiers were alleged to have opened fire on the cyclists, and in the process, late Akilu, who was a passenger on one of the motorcycles, was hit and fell down.

“I was informed that my late nephew was abandoned in his pool of blood, while the other cyclist, who was carrying him was taken to a filing station. Later, on the return of the cyclist to the scene of the incident, I was informed, the cyclist enquired from the soldiers of Akilu, whom the soldiers claimed to have been deposited at New Wuse General Hospital.

“Immediately I received the message, I drove down to the roadblock, but the soldiers kept mute even after I identified myself as a retired Major.

“This prompted me to drive down to the 1 Division Garrison in Kaduna to formally lay a complaint where a senior officer told me to come back the next day with an eyewitness, promising that the boys on roadblock on the said day would be recalled back to the office for identification.

“The second day, the soldiers were paraded amidst other colleagues and my witness, who was the cyclist carrying the victim, was able to identify three of them. They were later moved away.

“Surprisingly, the senior military officer said my nephew was not killed by any of his men and the corpse is not with them, even though they accepted earlier on that his body was deposited at the New Wuse General Hospital,” he narrated.

Major Tafoki, therefore, passionately pleaded with the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), General Tukur Buratai, to intervene in the matter and ensure that the corpse is released to the family for a befitting burial.



Share from Conscience Triumph

Leave a Reply