You are here
Home > Crime > 14 Killed, 21 Injured in Southern Kaduna fresh attacks 

14 Killed, 21 Injured in Southern Kaduna fresh attacks 

Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

No fewer than 14 people have been allegedly confirmed dead, while 21 injured in fresh attacks in Ungwan Pah Gwandara in Jagindi Ward, in Jema’a local government area of Kaduna state by suspected Fulani herdsmen.

According to the National Secretary Youth Council of Nigeria, Jema’a Local Government, Mr. Danlami Dogara, who confirmed the incident to our correspondent in a telephone interview on Monday, 17th December, 2018, he said “At about 7:30 to 8pm on Sunday, heavy armed Fulani herdsmen invaded the community where a wedding was taking place and opened fire, killing 12 people,” he said.

He disclosed that, “As I am talking to you right now, we have 5 dead bodies laying down here at Kafanchan General Hospital, who were brought for treatment, while 7 bodies are yet to be brought.”

Our correspondent, who placed a call to the Jema’a Local Government Council boss to confirm the incident, did not get his response at the time of filing this report. Also is a press statement issued on attack by a Member representing Jema’a/Sanga Federal Constituency, Hon. Shehu Nicholas Garba, that, “the news about the attack is another affront on the fragile peace they’ve been nurturing.”

The statement, signed by Hon. Garba and made available to journalists in Kaduna Monday, lamented that “The news of an attack on Ungwan Pah, along Jagindi-Kogum Road, leading to large casualties is yet another affront on the fragile peace we have been nurturing. There has been a brewing crisis of recent between indigenous Fulanis and some communities in that environ, which led to killings of 14 people and so many casualties.

“Frantic efforts were made by local authorities, including notable leaders within the communities, to contain the situation and prevent it from escalating. These efforts included bringing the military task force, which has a unit in Jagindi Tasha, into the matter. Sadly, it is now obvious that we are confronted with yet another unexpected tragedy.

“While we commiserate with the injured victims and families of the bereaved, we are urging for calm and vigilance in the affected communities, while security personnel are mobilised into the affected areas. Our Communities were denied the joy of Christmas celebration last year.

“We should refuse to be pushed into taking retaliatory measures, which the enemy wants to exploit to deny us yet another Christmas and New Year celebration and, perhaps, peaceful elections next year.

“I urge the security establishments to fish out the perpetrators of this dastardly act for the law to take its cause and also reinforce its presence in these communities to restore confidence.”

Every effort to get police authority to confirm the information proved abortive as the CP and PPRO failed to pick their calls or respond to text messages.

 

Share from Conscience Triumph

Leave a Reply

Top